What is Lipedema?
Lipedema is a condition that primarily affects women causing large amounts fat to concentrate beneath the skin on the legs and buttocks. Despite being recognized for over 70 years, lipedema is still often confused with obesity.
If left untreated, patients can suffer from a variety of health related issues that not only affect mobility but vital bodily functions as well. Terms such as “kankles” for ankles, and “stove pipes” for legs describe the appearance of lipedema.
Early treatment is critical in preventing increasing fat accumulations from being deposited with each passing year. Treatment in later stages is aimed at treating the swelling associated with this condition, decreasing pain and discomfort in the legs and preserving tissue health.
*Each patient is unique; therefore, results of treatment may vary.
- hormonal changes (puberty, pregnancy, peri-menopause)
- Extreme stress
- Disproportionate body
- Expanded fat cells
- Blockage of of lymph fluid
- Painful fat
- Easy bruising
- No weight change with diet or exercise
- Cuff of fat at ankle
Stages and Types of Lipedema
In order to treat each patient’s unique physical condition, medical experts developed a system that categorizes the amount and location of fatty tissue. This system is a combination of staging and type identification to effectively treat lipedema. Learn more+
- Water-Jet Assisted Liposuction (WAL) Learn more+
- Exercise to reduce fluid buildup and boost mobility.
- Stretch compression bandages to increase pressure in the swollen legs and reduce fluid buildup.
- Manual drainage to stimulate the flow of lymph fluid around blocked areas to healthy vessels, where it can drain into the venous system.
Dr. Marcia Byrd and her team of experts care for patients throughout the United States and abroad. Locally, Dr. Byrd services the North Atlanta, GA area including Roswell GA, Alpharetta GA, Milton GA, Woodstock GA, Canton GA, Dunwoody GA, Sandy Springs, GA and more. If you suspect that you suffer from Lipedema, call (770) 587-1711 and schedule a consultation. Be the best you can be and live a full life – there is no reason to wait!